Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Quick Update on Plan from Oncologist

Quick Update...

The doctor said that I am VERY lucky and he's very excited about my prognosis.  The type of chemo I will be getting is called R-EPOCH, and it will be administered via a pump.  It is a newer method, but has shown to have great results with the very rare lymphoma we're fighting.  I will be getting a portacath in tomorrow (to be able to use the pump), and will start chemo on Monday.  My plans for the rest of the day are to have a FUN time with my family!  Unfortunately my sister will be flying back to her home on Friday night, and I want to enjoy as much of my time between now and then.  So, if you're thinking of us, know that I am probably at the park, or taking a stroll around the neighborhood, or singing/dancing/being forced to watch The Little Mermaid movie. :)

Hugs to all, thank you for the overwhelming amount of support you have sent our way!

For those that love details, 
1) R-EPOCH stands for: A chemotherapy regimen consisting of etoposide, prednisone, vincristine (Oncovin) and doxorubicin hydrochloride (hydroxydaunorubicin hycrochloride), which may be used in combination with rituximab (R-EPOCH) for the treatment of various aggressive B cell and T cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas

2) Here is a link to a summary of the article my oncologist gave me - Link to Article - Addition-of-rituximab-to-DA-EPOCH-negated-need-for-radiotherapy-in-primary-mediastinal-B-cell-lymphoma.  Here's the best quote "During a median of 5 years of follow-up, the event-free survival rate was 93%, and the overall survival rate was 97%."


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very good plan. The procedure for the portacath is very simple. I had mine inserted 2 years ago and I still have it. I love it after 1 1/2 years of not having one when I started de chemos, my veins were gone. Is so good that u r going to have one to start! I still have it, even though I finish 3 months ago. I call it Güilli" bacause it looks like the thing u use to play Güilli board ☺. Love and take good care of it, is a blessing.
    Hope you hear and feel all the prayers and positive vibes your way. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for joelletalks.blogspot.com

About Me

My photo
31 year old navigating life with husband and almost-2-years-old daughter :)