Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ever Need Some Motivation?

Wow. it has been a while since I posted.  I guess I don't feel like I have much to report.  I'm still feeling the side effects I mentioned last time, although I might be feeling a little closer to myself each day.  I think I've mentioned a few times that during this process social media has helped me a lot, finding people with your same diagnosis that have beat your cancer is awesome.  It is especially great if you can share the experience with someone else.  The week I had my first DA R-EPOCH treatment, a friend I met through facebook was starting hers in the UK.  During the last 6 months, we've discussed our complaints, hopes, dreams, and vented a little.  She is recovering well, and is happy to report that her hair (eyebrows, eyelashes, hair!) has started growing back in. And... today she goes in for her let's-make-sure-cancer-is-still-gone end of treatment PET scan.  I have mine scheduled for December 27th, and I am very excited about it.  However, as the day gets closer, I am sure I will experience some of the scanxiety my friend is going through.  Because of our chat yesterday, I was thinking about what I do to motivate myself to get through the tough days - and I wanted to share that with you guys...

My dad introduced me to Madonna's music when I was little, and I still love the songs "Lucky Star" and "Material Girl."  Growing up I also loved Alanis Morissette, Shakira, and countless other strong female anthem-type songs.  A song that I have liked since it first came out is the song Strong by Kelly Clarkson.  My husband can tell you how many times he heard me singing "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stand a little taller, doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone..." on days when I was struggling.   When I first started chemo, I remembered this video and I watched it many times during my treatment.If these kids were able to go through the cancer treatments with a smile, who was I to complain about my own struggles?  Here's a music video of the Seattle Children's Hospital Oncology ward to Kelly Clarkson's song Stronger:


Lately, a new song has popped up that I have also been singing incessantly, it is Katy Perry's ROAR - and I am also sharing my favorite video rendition of that one.



In case you are wondering, yes, my almost two year old daughter knows about these songs, and she likes to ROAR to Katy Perry's song. :)  Hope these help you on days where you might need some motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for joelletalks.blogspot.com

About Me

My photo
31 year old navigating life with husband and almost-2-years-old daughter :)